The LeBaron Bunch, kinda like The Brady Bunch only BeTTeR

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. but the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Mad Hatter


My mother is everything to me, she is a very loving and compassionate lady, grandmother and friend, and she is a fighter. She found a lump in her breast in April and soon after had a lumpectomy, and just started chemo yesterday. I just can't stand the thought of that going through her body, but my DH reminds me that it is going to save her life. She is remaining positive and says she has grandkids to live for. She is just precious. I hope that I can be as strong as her during my hard times, ie: 7 1/2 months pregnant.

So, I wanted to do something for her to make her feel special---I threw her a Hat Party/ Birthday Party!

What we did: talked a little about breast cancer, because my mom wanted the ladies to be educated, my nurse friendgave me a great idea, you can represent breast lumps with candy, for example: nerds = small undetectable lumps, jaw breakers or dum dums = med. size, large enough to detect if your familiar with your breasts, ( I don't know if it applies to men) and peppermint patties = big, (of course) likely dangerous lumps.

Then the fun part of opening all kinds of hats. We had a good time, oh and I read a tribute I wrote about my mom from my journal. All in all it ended up being a fabulous day for my courageous mother. Plus, it helped me because I felt like I was finally doing something for my sweet mother. But, I am grateful for the opportunity to spend more time with her and serve her more. Let's look at the bright side, right?

1 comment:

Erin said...

What a loving thing to do! It sounds like you managed to create the perfect party, one in which she didn't have to pretend, one where everyone could talk about the cancer and then be done with it and get back to the task of living and loving and laughing. What a gift!

Related Posts with Thumbnails